As we enter November we also know that Christmas holidays and all the joy they bring along are about to come. People from advertising companies know that too and are doing their utmost to convince you that this year you mustn’t forget to buy presents in time as well as provide for all the food and ingredients for the most spectacular dishes ever made by YOU, a consumer, during Christmas holidays. But, somehow it always happens that we are one step to being broke during pre-holiday season. So, we wonder – how to save money before holidays? Here are several useful tips, but first answer three simple questions:
- On what do I spend most of my money?
- Is that really necessary?
- Do I have an alternative?
Save at home
- Before leaving your home, turn off all home appliances which don’t necessarily to be plugged in. This will save you a significant amount of money without even bothering.
- Turn down the heat. Sometimes it’s easier, not to mention healthier, to put on one more clothes than to turn on the heating and the electricity bill.
Things to do before venturing into shopping
- Make a shopping list of all the things you actually need. Don’t buy anything that’s not on that list.
- Make sure to eat before going shopping. That way you’ll avoid buying things that attract you at the moment just because you’re hungry.
- Limit time for shopping. You’ll also have limited time to roam mindlessly around stores
- Use coupons whenever you can.
- Collect catalogs from your mailbox and compare prices. Depending on your needs, decide where to go to save more money.
- Familiar brands are in most cases far more expensive than other “neutral brands”. But in certain cases, this is not justified. Give those products a chance and save money!
Save on transport
- Save on fuel and use public transportation this month.
- Avoid using taxi services as well. Walking will help you not only save money but it will do wonders for your figure and health in general.
- Make an arrangement with your work colleagues who live close by to and go to work together. One day you drive and the other day your colleague.
Small adjustments = lot of money
- Do you really need to go to a gym? There are tons of workout programs on the web that can be just as effective.
- Cut down on those cigarettes already!
- Prepare meals at home. Avoid fast food. Remember, you never pay just for food but the service also.
- Make some arrangements at home. Each person should bring one dish or a drink and you’ve already saved some money.
- Wait for sales! Sometimes they really pay off! If something is too expensive for you, it is most likely it is too expensive for others also. Nobody will “steal” that from you.
You may find useful at least one of these tips. Answer those three questions from the beginning of the article. Start saving money now and you’ll have no problems buying everything you need until Christmas.
Translation: G. Dujmović