Plantago is a plant known to ancient Greek and Chinese doctors for its many benefits. It was actually used to treat as many as 24 different diseases!
When administered orally it serves as a mild cough medicine. It battles cough and bronchitis efficiently thanks to the mucus it contains. Thanks to high potassium levels it’s also a good diuretic. A fresh plantago juice is an ideal solution for spring body cleansing because it does wonders for your blood and boosts your metabolism at the same time.
- Plantago: approx. 200 leaves
- Water: 500 ml
- Sugar: 500 gr
- Grape sugar: 25 g
- Butter: 20 g
- Cold pressed linseed oil: 1 teaspoon
- Fennel: 1 teaspoon of ground seeds
- Cut fresh Plantago leaves, cover it with water and cook at medium heat for about 30 minutes, and then rinse it.
- Add butter and sugar, and cook at medium heat for another 20 minutes, that is, until you get a thick syrup consistency.
- Cover the baking pan with parchment paper, add oil and pour the syrup over it. Leave until it gets partially hard, then cut it in candy-size pieces.
Enjoy this tasty and medicinal treat.