Omega-3 fatty acids, also known as n-3 fatty acids, are polyunsaturated fatty acids essential for our health, and since our body cannot synthesize them we need to take it through food or, if that is not possible, use dietary supplements. The food which is particularly rich in omega-3 fatty acids is fish. Omega-3 fatty acids are often referred to as “brain food” because they provide many health benefits associated with brain function, like in the case of Alzheimer’s disease, but it may assist as a tool for improving vision too. Apart from fish, flax seeds and nuts are also packed with omega-3 fatty acids. Still, various types of fish have variable amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, and here is a list of the best choices you can make:
Salmon is probably the best-known fish source of omega-3 fatty acids. It can be purchased at a number of groceries or fish market. Besides omega-3, it is loaded with vitamin D as well, enough to satisfy body’s daily requirement for that vitamin.
Fresh pilchards are very delicious, but canned pilchards are also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and they can be tasteful with toast and serve as a healthy snack.
Picarels are also nutritious and they are best fresh. You can fry them and nibble instead of French fries for instance.
Although canned anchovies are more available, fresh would be better. They are easy to prepare, and frying being the most common method of preparing. They excellently complement most Mediterranean dishes.
Try out this fine recipe:
SALMON WITH WHITE WINE SAUCE
- salmon fillet
- tablespoon of butter
- some flour
- 1 glass of white wine
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
- Heat the oven to 220°C.
- Season the salmon with some salt and put it into a baking dish where you’ve previously placed a piece of parchment paper. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Before you take it out, pierce the salmon with a fork to check if is done.
- In the meantime, take a small sauce pot and melt the butter, add flour and cook for about a minute.
- Add a glass of white wine and stir well until bubbles begin to show and lower the heat afterwards. Cook for approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Season the sauce with some pepper and salt. Serve the slices of salmon that you’ve topped with wine sauce.
This meal will ensure you the right “dose of health” coming from omega-3 fatty acids. You can complement it with a glass of the Urosboros wine from Trapan winery in Istria which you can buy at our Viola wine boutique shop.