Weight gain may not be caused only by the excessive fat intake, it may happen due to water retention too.
Some women suffer from edema, i.e. swelling caused by fluid retention in the body’s tissues, usually occurring in the legs and abdominal area.
Edema often affects women due to hormonal fluctuations during their menstrual cycle. Symptoms include fatigue, breast augmentation, belly bloating, short breaths and varicose veins.
Tips for prevention
- Cut down on salt including dairy products (cheese) and salami.
- Make sure your diet includes enough proteins found in foods like fish, eggs and meat (chicken or turkey breast is the best choice)
- How to prevent water retention? Hmm… simply – by drinking enough water. Paradoxically as it may seem, water is the best-known diuretic. However, to stimulate urination, you should drink water slowly while lying, somewhat unusual, yes, but effective.
- Avoid water pills, since you’ll only accustom your body’s mechanisms to fight only with the help of such an –“aid”, while as soon as you stop taking the pills, you will start back at the beginning.
- Say the big NO to laxatives. You know better, eat proper and healthy food and ensure your body enough exercise to maintain normal bowel function.
- If things are more serious, like in the case of poor circulation, then prompt and adequate measures should be taken. Nevertheless, in the case of minor symptoms you can always prevent worsening of the problem by reducing caffeine consumption to a minimum, cutting it out completely would be even better, of course, and the same refers to alcohol. Enrich your diet with foods such as horseradish, rosemary, and turmeric.
- And finally, what many of you probably don’t want to hear, but it is the (bitter) truth: Smokers, quit smoking!
Translation: G. Dujmović